We are all well aware of how chronic illness threatens the quality of life for patients. Flare-ups of their disease cause countless trips to the emergency room, often followed by admissions to the hospital. Care is delivered via highly capable and supportive healthcare providers, yet all too often the cycle returns with another flare-up and emergency room visit.
Such recurring events are frequent and costly:
- 1.8m Asthma ER visits annually & ~500K hospitalizations
- 1.5m COPD ER visits annually & ~700K hospitalizations
- 41% of all readmissions are COPD related
- 30-day hospital readmission rates for COPD are ~ 25%
- Readmissions for COPD costs are 50% higher than the original admission & readmission length of stay is twice as long (8 days).
Where and how does this breakdown occur?
Are proper transitions of care in place upon discharge from the hospital?
How well are chronic care management plans being followed by patients?
Are we taking full advantage of the advances in technology to remotely monitor patients to more quickly recognize subtle changes in their condition that could help avert another relapse?
At PMD Healthcare we partner with health-systems, providers, and payers to deliver the triple aim of healthcare:
- Improving quality
- Improving patient satisfaction
- Reducing Cost
Want to learn about how PMD can partner with your organization to improve transitional care, chronic care management, and remote patient monitoring?
You’ll see that our products and services are clinically relevant, make strong financial sense and are easy to implement.